Targeted CPU compilations

От: Ron Johnson
Тема: Targeted CPU compilations
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Hi,

Has anyone done any benchmarks to see if PG compiled for the target
CPU (Athlon XP, P4 Xeon, Pentium III, etc) is significantly more
efficient than when compiled for the i386?  This should also apply
to Sparc, Alpha, etc.

Yes, more RAM and faster disks are extremely important, but when the
fast disks have sucked the commonly shared data into all that RAM,
the RAM cache will be exercise heavily, and that means lots of CPU.
Business logic embedded in SQL and stored procedures, and CRC (or
MD5) calculations would also be sped up.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home:              |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |