Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory

От: Franco Bruno Borghesi
Тема: Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Daniel Migowski, )
 Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Franco Bruno Borghesi, )
    Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Franco Bruno Borghesi, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Vivek Khera, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Vivek Khera, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Bruce Momjian, )

But I think it's still a good option.

For example, in servers where there are other applications running (a web server, for example) that are constantly accesing the disk and replacing cached postgresql pages in the kernel, having shared buffers could reduce this efect and assure the precense of our pages in memory... I gues :)

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 13:50, Josh Berkus wrote:
Tom,

> If we had a portable way
> of preventing the kernel from caching the same page, it would make more
> sense to run with large shared_buffers.

Really?  I thought we wanted to move the other way ... that is, if we could
get over the portability issues, eliminate shared_buffers entirely and rely
completely on the OS cache.
Вложения