Re: Can I turn the case sensitive off

От Arguile
Тема Re: Can I turn the case sensitive off
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 19:34, Terence Chang wrote:
> I don't remember I even seen a document saying PostgreSQL are case sensitive.
> I just figure out that my column name are case sensitive. Is there any
> way that I can turn it off or force the object name to all upper case?
PostgreSQL is case sensitive if identifiers are quoted, otherwise it
folds to lower case.

    SELECT foo, FOo, Foo, fOO          -- all fold down to "foo"
    SELECT "foo", "FOo", "Foo", "fOO"  -- are all different

Not sure why lower was chosen over upper, probably a legibility issue. I
might be mistaken but I think the standard calls for upper; personally I
like the current system.

> Also, I have seen a lot of people having problem troubles to insert unicode
> into DB, but no clear answer out there. I guess that I have been
> searching with wrong keyword or place. Is there a FAQ for this unicode
> issue? I did not see a Nchar or Nvarchar data type. What data type
> should I use?

Any of these:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/datatype-character.html

Try reading this:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/multibyte.html

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Seemingly identical queries run at different speeds
От: "Terence Chang"
Сообщение: Re: Can I turn the case sensitive off