Re: String Comparison / Embedded Spaces

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: String Comparison / Embedded Spaces
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 00:46, Stephan Szabo wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Ken Schenke wrote:
>
> > Does the PostgreSQL string comparison operator remove embedded spaces in
> > a string before comparing?  Here is a query I'm issuing (notice the
> > space between A and C in the first string):
> >
> > select version();
> > select ('A C' < 'AB') as result;
> >
> > the result that comes back is:
> >
> > version

> > Shouldn't the result of the comparison be true, not false?
>
> That depends on the locale you have set for collation.  If it's en_US
> (for example) spaces and some symbols don't act like you'd expect.
> 'AB' < 'A B' < 'AC' < 'A C' I believe.

My system is definitely C locale.

template1=# select version();
                                    version
 PostgreSQL 7.3.3 on i386-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.3
(Debian)
(1 row)

template1=# select ('A C' < 'AB') as result;
 result
--------
(1 row)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |