Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 11:21, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > Well, I suppose that history has shown that waiting on specific features
> > causes trouble with postgresql development, but I don't see why a
> > release can't be based around waiting for feature x as long as feature x
> > is being actively worked on by trusted developers who have an endgame in
> > sight.
>
> Ultimately, this is one of those "technical" vs. "marketing" questions ...

absolutely not. this is a x style of development vs. y style of
development discussion. many many projects, commercial and open source,
use a style of releasing based on features included in a given version.
In fact I'd be willing to say that the majority of open source projects
work this way, since open source projects generally aren't beholden to
release dates, giving developers the time they need to get specific
features done and release them when they are ready.  as i prefaced in my
message, "history has shown us that waiting on specific features causes
trouble with postgresql development", but that doesn't mean we should
act as if this style of development doesn't exist.

> whether to release now with a bunch of back-end features that the current
> users want, or to release later and include the features that we said were
> going to be in 7.4.   And PostgreSQL is a technical project, not a marketing
> one.

right, which is why core/hackers will decide both what gets into each
releases and when it's released.  since i'm not outpacing tom or bruce
in my patch submissions i don't expect them to bend to my whims, but as
someone who follows and participates in postgresql development
regardless of an marketing aspects, i don't mind pointing out
alternatives.

Robert Treat

Сообщение: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Сообщение: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze