Re: postgreSQL on NAS/SAN?

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: postgreSQL on NAS/SAN?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 14:01, Jason Earl wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 12:05, Michael Meskes wrote:
> >> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 03:41:45PM +0200, Daniel Seichter wrote:
[snip]
> > This is going to sound bad to users of Open Source OSs and
> > databases, but for all work that has to go into clustering machines
> > and making databases work with them...
> >
> > Why not use a clustered-by-design OS like VMS?  It is very easy to
> > put a couple of dual-Alpha boxen cluster-connected via fiber to SCSI
> > devices.  A cluster-aware relational database like Rdb runs on all
> > nodes of a cluster in a totally shared-disk environment.  While both
> > nodes are working fine, half of the work goes to either node, and if
> > one node goes down, the other node still does all the work.
>
> I can't speak for everyone else, but I can tell you *my* reasons for
> going with PostgreSQL as opposed to a fancier solution like RDB on
> VMS, or Oracle on Solaris, or DB2 on whatever IBM platform sounds
> interesting today.  PostgreSQL does what I need it to do without
> breaking the bank.  Sure, it's a little extra work getting PostgreSQL
> to do something like hot failover (or load balancing), but when you
> can't afford the other options you make do with what you have.

Disregarding clustering, I agree with you completely.

> Besides which, PostgreSQL on x86 hardware is almost certainly the best
> value around.  No one touches it on a price/performance basis, and
> PostgreSQL has an impressive array of features.  For example, can I
> connect my Zope application server running Linux to RDB running on
> VMS?  I don't believe I can (Oracle would work, however).  PostgreSQL
> plays nicely with just about any set of development tools you might
> care to mention.

If it can connect via SQL*Net or ODBC, Rdb will talk to it.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |