Re: Choosing Between PL/PGSQL or C/C++ for Triggers/Store

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Choosing Between PL/PGSQL or C/C++ for Triggers/Store
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 14:54, Clay Luther wrote:
> For a very complex database in which we plan to implement database rules
> via triggers, I need some information on which language, PL/PGSQL or
> C/C++ provides the most "bang for the buck" with respect to performance.
> One initially presumes the C/C+ stored procs/triggers will be faster,
> but after reading some posts on the list about the Query Planner and
> PL/PGSQL, I was wondering if using PL/PGSQL might not be better.
>
> 1) Is there a clear-cut choice when performance is the issue?

If performance is the issue then C functions are the way to go.

> 2) Is there a fuzzy choice at work here?  Perhaps PL/PGSQL for simple,
> obvious stored proces/triggers, but C/C++ for complexity?

Generally I'd say no, *if performance is the issue*. The main case
(imho) you'd want to use plpgsql or sql functions is becuase they are a
lot easier to write and maintain. If you don't care about that (and your
skill level with C might be such that you don't) then C functions are
the way to go.

BTW - If you ever feel the motivation to write a tutorial, a basic
tutorial on converting plpgsql functions to C functions would be pretty
neat.

Robert Treat