Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Дата
Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user  (Ian Barwick <barwick@gmx.net>)
Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user  (Martin Marques <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 08:05, Martin Marques wrote:
> On Mié 11 Jun 2003 12:29, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > 3) If your point was to move to a relational database, then you should
> > choose Postgres.  MySQL, although it's SQL, hardly qualifies as
> > relational
>
> MySQL doesn't have relations at all, unless you put the InnoDB module,
> which stamps down performance.
>
> An example I tried to do on a MySQL without InnoDB was:
>
> CREATE TABLE testing (
> id INT,
> word VARCHAR(20) REFERENCES other_table("word")
> );
>
> (knowing that other_table exists (I prefiously created it) and has word as
> a VARCHAR(20) field).
>
> An error is what I got.

A table *is* a relation.  You seem to be referring to foreign keys.
Maybe MySQL has a different syntax?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a  |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it."                 |
|     Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)          |