Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user

От Network Administrator
Тема Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Дата
Список pgsql-general
For what its worth, a while ago, I was on http://www.tpc.org trying to find some
useful comparisons of at least a test swing of code & and sample data that I
could use in my lab for my own tests.

I don't remember getting that far with it- I simply gave the guy the article
about PG being used to serve .org  :)

Maybe there is more information the now...

Quoting Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net>:

> I could really use some links to these performance comparisons. Oracle
> performance statistics are problematic though,as all contracts to use Oracle
> require the user to NEVER share performance information to the public.
> Someone should sue them for that. Or figure out a way to influence the market
> to start being pissed off about that.
>
> Anyway, I'm going to write a paper for my masters on using PGSL vs. Oracle
> vs. SQL Server vs. DB2. Any and all sources of performance, usage,
> configurations, etc of these would be most welcome.
>
> Steve Lane wrote:
>
> > On 6/11/03 10:39 AM, "Justin Clift" <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
> >

> >>Tell him to test it with decent settings (try about 4000 for each as an
> >>initial start), and he'll find that a decently tuned PostgreSQL matches
> >>the speed of a MySQL installation with any table type.  An in
> >>write-intensive applications, the MySQL server will always fall behind.
> >>_Especially_ as the number of simultaneous clients rises.  MySQL falls
> >>behind, as does Oracle 8i a bit further on (not sure about 9i and 9iR2),
> >>and PostgreSQL keeps on performing at pretty much the same throughput
> >>for far higher numbers of client connections.
> >>
> >>And _that_, is for real.
> >>

> > Are there *any* recent benchmarks that show all this? The most recent ones
> > can find are a couple of years old. Now, eWeek did run a database
> benchmark
> > some time in the last year, in which they compared a variety of commercial
> > engines and an OS engine. We can guess which was the open source db. MySQL
> > of course.
> >
> > If anyone in the advocacy area wants to write to the eWeek author who did
> > the report, Timothy Dyck, it'd be good to push for a benchmark that
> includes
> > postgres. Of course, since we're all involved in advocacy in some way, I
> > could do it myself...
> >
> > Anyway, original question ... Any recent benchmarks that show how postgres
> > performs against others, especially under load?
> >
> > -- sgl

> > Steve Lane
> >
> > Vice President
> > The Moyer Group