Re: Column limits in table/ views

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: Column limits in table/ views
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 18:02, A.M. wrote:
> I have 560 columns of NUMERIC(10,14). To not run up against max column
> restraints, I split the information into two tables. Does the column
> limit on tables imply the same limit for views or selects or could I
> potentially select a row across both tables and make a view that hides
> the split?

The limit is documented as having to do with the size of a block.  The
largest a single row can become is 8k with primitive types (text, and
other variable length types will 'overflow' into another area -- see
TOAST).

Selects should be able to return more columns than that.  Both views and
tables create a ROW TYPE to represent it, which is where the limitation
is.  Thus, I would not expect you to be able to create a view.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: