Re: SQL problem: bank account

От Erik G. Burrows
Тема Re: SQL problem: bank account
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
This is the solution I was looking for! 20 seconds to compile the whole
list.

Thanks everyone for your help, I very much appreciate it. Even though
this is kind of 'hackey' being that it's non-standard SQL, it keeps the
database from having to to 40,000 selects, as would have to do with any
correlated sub-select statement.

Thanks!

> "Erik G. Burrows" <eburrows@erikburrows.com> writes:
> > I need to get the most recent transaction for each customer. I need only
> > the transaction ID, but the entire row would be best.
>
> If you don't mind a not-standard-SQL solution, the SELECT DISTINCT ON
> construct is designed for this sort of thing.  See the "weather report"
> example in the SELECT reference page.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Erik G. Burrows - KG6HEA                   www.erikburrows.com
PGP Key: http://www.erikburrows.com/egb@erikburrows.com.pgpkey