Re: Hardware advice

От Will LaShell
Тема Re: Hardware advice
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 07:44, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 03:23:28PM +0100, Adam Witney wrote:
> > RAID5 for 3x 146Gb drives
>
> I find the RAID5 on the PERC to be painfully slow.  It's _really_ bad
> if you don't put WAL on its own drive.

This seems to be an issue with the dell firmware.  The megaraid devel
list has been tracking this issue on and off for some time now.  People
have had good luck with a couple of different fixes. The PERC cards
-can- be made not to suck and the LSI cards simply don't have the
problem. ( Since they are effectively the same card its the opinion that
its the firmware )

> Also, you don't mention it, but check to make sure you're getting ECC
> memory on these boxes.  Random memory errors which go undetected will
> make you very unhappy.  ECC lowers (but doesn't eliminate,
> apparently) your chances.

100% agree with this note.

> --
> ----
> Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
> Liberty RMS                           Toronto, Ontario Canada
> <andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8
>                                          +1 416 646 3304 x110

Вложения