Re: sequence caches

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: sequence caches
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 13:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> jks@selectacast.net writes:
> > Is there a way to change the cache setting on a per-query basis?  For that
> > matter how can the cache setting be changed at all?  There is no ALTER
> > SEQUENCE command.
>
> Rod Taylor added one in CVS tip ... though now that I think about it,
> it's highly unlikely that it works in a reasonable fashion in the
> presence of caching.  We might have to reconsider whether we should have
> it there at all.  Rod, any thoughts about that?  At the very least there
> needs to be a warning about the risks in the ALTER SEQUENCE man page.

There is nothing in the spec about caching, nor does my Oracle
documentation mention any limitations (though it seems to imply sequence
alterations will not affect currently cached values).  Since sequences
are based primarily on Oracles implementation, could someone confirm
what they do?

ALTER SEQUENCE in CVS Tip does not clear the sequence cache when
alterations have been made, although it certainly could.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

Вложения