Re: Client encoding conversion for binary data (was Re:

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Client encoding conversion for binary data (was Re:
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane kirjutas N, 15.05.2003 kell 01:44:
> "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
> >> We could sidestep that issue if binary I/O for text was in server
> >> encoding in all cases.
>
> > I think that would be reasonable, yes. After all one argument for using
> > binary mode is speed and efficiency, and not it's editability with
> > a text editor.
>
> I just realized that there is a comparable issue for plain-text COPY.
> It performs client-to-server encoding conversions in all cases ---
> including when reading/writing a file in the server's filesystem.
>
> I think it is correct for plain-text COPY to perform such conversions
> when doing COPY to/from the client.  I'm much less convinced that it
> is sane to apply client_encoding to server-side files.

Yes, it seems completely bogus. The whole reason for existance of
client-side encodings is that each client may have its own (and even the
same client may use several, at least for diffrent connections).

> On the other
> hand, there's still the point about dumping a file one way and loading
> it back the other.  Also, it's probably unwise to change this behavior
> without a really good argument for doing so, since (AFAIR) we've not
> had bug reports about it.

It works both ways, i.e. the lack of bug reports may also suggest that
nobody is doing it (copy file to server, then load the same file from
client)

> Comments anyone?

I have not been closely following the discussion about FE/BE protocol
changes, but the way converting binary seems dangerous - if you insert a
.gif file into bytea column using decode(encodedgiffile,'base64'), but
would like to get it out in binary for performance reasons, it is not
good if it gets run through conversion routines.

Hannu