Re: FILLFACTOR and increasing index

От Leonardo Francalanci
Тема Re: FILLFACTOR and increasing index
Дата
Re: FILLFACTOR and increasing index
Список pgsql-general
> It will be really useful to see some test  results where you alter the
> fillfactor and report various  measurables.

It's not that easy... stressing "only" the index insertion
speed won't be simple. I would have liked some "theory"...
The docs seem to imply there are some guidelines, it's
just that it's too cryptic:

"for heavily updated tables a smaller fillfactor is better
to minimize the need for page splits"

  "heavily updated" -> does it mean tables that are inserted/updated
or only "updated"???

"leaf pages are filled to this percentage [...] when extending the index
at the right (adding new largest key values)."

Does it mean that since I will (almost) always add new largest key
values, I should have a big or small FILLFACTOR???

I know that theory is one thing and real testing another; but I can't
test everything; if there are some (proved?) guidelines I'd like to
use them (example: I'm not going to test that fillfactor in table creation
in my case won't make any difference in   performance; I trust the
docs and the fact that "it makes sense").

Сообщение: Re: simple update query too long
Сообщение: Re: simple update query too long