Re: natural sort order

От Arguile
Тема Re: natural sort order
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 10:14, Ken Guest wrote:
> Is it possible to use a natural sort order?
> I want to get data back in the order
> CD1, CD2, CD3., CD4, CD5, CD6, CD7, CD8, CD9, CD10, CD11

You have a couple options. The bandaid solutions is:

    SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY substr(field, 3)::int

It might also be a good idea to look at why CD is prefixed to each. If
they're all CDs maybe just drop the prefix? You can always concat it on
the front for reports.

If there are different prefixes that probably means you should be
modelling it with two seperate fields. Just a thought.