Re: using serial values

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: using serial values
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 20:03, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> How do I get the values for the serial field? Do they automatically insert themselves with a
> default if I do not use that field in the INSERT statement?

Yes.

Or you can explicitly use nextval('sequence_name') to get the next
value.

> Example:
>
> create table EntityTypes(
>     entity_type_id serial NOT NULL CONSTRAINT PK_EntityTypes1 PRIMARY KEY,
>       entity_type    varchar(16) NOT NULL,
>     CONSTRAINT UC_EntityTypes_Entity_Type1 UNIQUE(entity_type)
> );
>

> INSERT INTO EntityTypes( entity_type ) VALUES 'Big Smile, Good Dresser, Easy to Get Along With';
>
> Will the above statement causes a row to be inserted with the value
> for 'entity_type_id' to be
> automatically 1 or 0?

Actually it will fail for syntax errors, but once you have corrected
those, it will insert a row with entity_type = 1.

     "The earth is the LORD'S, and the fullness thereof; the
      world, and they that dwell therein."
                                   Psalms 24:1