Re: Postgres performace with large tables.

От Andrew McMillan
Тема Re: Postgres performace with large tables.
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 20:39, Wim wrote:
> Andrew McMillan wrote:
> >
> >If you have processes that are updating/deleting within the table in
> >parallel then you probably want to vacuum the table (much) more often.
> >
> I Think I'll try that in the first place,
> I do:
> BEGIN
>     SELECT routers FROM routers_table WHERE blabla;
>     UPDATE routers_table SET timestamp=blabla;
>     INSERT INTO routers_counters VALUES blablabla;
> END
> COMMIT
>
> How much should  I vacuum the table? After every run of the script or 2
> or 3 times/day?

I would tend to "VACUUM routers_table" after each run of the script,
given that it is a small table (presumably 30 rows) it should be next to
know overhead and will ensure it remains within 1-2 physical pages.

If you continue to experience problems, you are best advised to provide
full schema and EXPLAIN output along with your questions.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/