Re: the lock mechanism

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: the lock mechanism
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 23:25, Sumaira Ali wrote:
> hi,
>  i found this piece of documentation on user locks in the postgresql
> source code in the file lock.c
> "
>
> User locks are handled totally on the application side as
>
> could some one enlighten me on the meaning of " locked at application
> level in this context..!!

It means your program knows about it, but PostgreSQL doesn't, except for
the purpose of telling your program.  If you use user locks, it is up to
you to have your program respect them; the database won't do it for you.

     "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of
      things in heaven, and things in earth, and things
      under the earth; And that every tongue should confess
      that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the
      Father."              Philippians 2:10,11