Re: Win32 port powerfail testing

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Win32 port powerfail testing
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page kirjutas R, 31.01.2003 kell 22:36:
> Despite some people's thoughts that a powerfail test is of little use, I
> going to spend some time doing one anyway because I think Tom's
> arguments for it are valid. I have lashed together the attached test
> program (the important bits are the setup, run and check functions) for
> review before I actually do anything next week. Comments, suggestions
> etc are welcome, though I don't have the time to write anything too
> complex, but do want to perform a valid test first time round if
> possible.
>
> I intend to run the tests on a Dual PIII 1GHz box, with 1Gb of Non-ECC
> RAM and a 20Gb (iirc) IDE disk. I will run on Windows 2000 Server with
> an NTFS filesystem, and again on Slackware Linux 8 with either ext3 or
> reiserfs (which is preferred?).

I think that ext3 should be more reliable, or at least more mainstream -
I have had bad experience with raiserfs not too long ago - a crash
(similar to pull-the-plug) zeroed out completely unrelated files (files
not recently written to, just read). As I don't use Slackware anymore
(though I started usin linux on it in the dark ages before 1.0 kernel),
I don't know if the issues are fixed there.

> The number of runs will be dictated by my workload next week, but I'd
> like to do at least 20 powerfails on each OS.

Don't post if you happen to get better results for win32 ;)

I have a worried lung-doctor (aka pulmonologist)  friend who did some
research/statistics on influence of smoking and he is desperate as his
methodologically completely scientific studies ended up showing that
smoking is healthy and not smoking is not ;), so he seems unable to
publish any of his results in any respectable outlet ;(

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>