Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 03:45, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 27 Jan 2003 at 3:08, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > Here's what I'd like to see:
> > COPY table [ ( column [, ...] ) ]
> >     FROM { 'filename' | stdin }
> >     [ [ WITH ]
> >           [ BINARY ]
> >           [ OIDS ]
> >           [ DELIMITER [ AS ] 'delimiter' ]
> >           [ NULL [ AS ] 'null string' ] ]
> >     [COMMIT EVERY ... ROWS WITH LOGGING]  <<<<<<<<<<<<<
> >     [SKIP ... ROWS]          <<<<<<<<<<<<<
> >
> > This way, if I'm loading 25M rows, I can have it commit every, say,
> > 1000 rows, and if it pukes 1/2 way thru, then when I restart the
> > COPY, it can SKIP past what's already been loaded, and proceed apace.
>
> IIRc, there is a hook to \copy, not the postgreSQL command copy for how many

I'll have to look into that.

> transactions you would like to see. I remember to have benchmarked that and
> concluded that doing copy in one transaction is the fastest way of doing it.

Boy Scout motto: Be prepared!!  (Serves me well as a DBA.)

So it takes a little longer.  In case of failure, the time would be
more than made up.  Also, wouldn't the WAL grow hugely if many millions
of rows were inserted in one txn?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |

Сообщение: Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads
Сообщение: Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads