Re: x86-64 and PostgreSQL

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: x86-64 and PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 00:44, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> > Will there be any advantages to running Pg on a 64-bit CPU rather
> > than 32-bit?
>
> Not so's you'd notice.  PG is designed to be cross-platform, and at
> the moment that means 32-bit-centric.  There's been occasional talk
> of improving the performance of float8 and int8 types on 64-bit
> machines, but so far it's only idle talk; and in any case I think
> that performance improvements for those two datatypes wouldn't have
> much effect for average applications.

That's kinda what I expected.

The ability to /relatively/ inexpensively get a box chock full of
RAM couldn't hurt, though...

Putting a 12GB database on a box with 8GB RAM has to make it run
pretty fast. (As long as you aren't joining mismatched types!!!)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |