Re: Sun vs. Mac

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Sun vs. Mac
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 15:00, CaptainX0r wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having some serious performance issues with PostgreSQL on
> our newish SunFire 280R (1 900MHz ultrasparc III, 1 GB RAM).
> It's painfully slow.  It took me almost a week of tuning to get
> it in the range of an old Mac G3 laptop.  Now, a few days later,
> after tweaking every nearly every parameter (only noting
> decreased performance on some) in /etc/system and
> $PGDATA/postgresql.conf

could you post your $PGDATA/postgresql.conf for our viewing pleasure ?

> it's about as fast as I can make it, but
> still horribly slow.  A few simple queries that take 1.5-7
> minutes on the G3 take 1-1.5 minutes on the Sun.  A bulk load of
> roughly 2.4 GB database dump takes ~1 hour on each machine.  It
> took almost 2 hours on the Sun before I turned off fsync.
>
> We have plans to add another CPU, RAM and another disk, which
> should all help,

Another CPU will probably not help with bulk loads or other single-user
stuff.

> but in its current state, I (and many others)
> would think that it should run circles around the G3. I'm
> thinking that I'm missing something big and obvious because this
> can't be right.  Otherwise we might as well just get a bunch of
> ibooks to run our databases - they're a lot smaller and much
> more quiet.

For single-user tasks you will probably be better off by getting a
gray box with Athlon 2600+ with 3 Gigs of memory and IDE disks
and running Linux or *BSD .