Re: \d type queries - why not views in system catalog?!?

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: \d type queries - why not views in system catalog?!?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 15:47, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> > Will information_schema be strictly SQL99 or will it also have
> > PostgreSQL specific views/fields ?
>
> If it's not strictly conformant to the spec, I see no value in it at
> all.

I mean that it could have at least extra *views* for postgresql specific
things. It could also have extra *fields* on standard views, but that
might break some apps. I see no way how having extra views can break
apps.

> > We already have plenty of ability to query the catalogs via
> non-standard queries.

But would it not be nice to have some standard ones, so that each and
every DB management app does not need to invent its own ?

I agree that this could be done as a project at gborg rather than  in
information_schema, but it would still be good to have one standard
place for examples at least. And the only way to keep the examples
up-to-date is by using them in live projects.

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>