Re: default to WITHOUT OIDS?

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: default to WITHOUT OIDS?
Дата
Re: default to WITHOUT OIDS?  (Ashley Cambrell <ash@freaky-namuh.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 18:17, Ashley Cambrell wrote:
> The problem with getting rid of OIDs as default is there is then no way
> to get the primary key of a just inserted row with out OIDs (as far as I
> know)

Use currval() on the PK sequence -- if you call it from within the query
that inserted a row, it is guaranteed to give you the last sequence
value that it generated.

However, I agree that one of the drawbacks of this scheme would be
breaking the OID in the status string returned by INSERT and similar
commands. Not too big a deal, IMHO (users can still get the same effect
by specifying WITH OIDS, or toggling the GUC var)...

Cheers,

Neil