LIMIT clause optimization

От Felipe Schnack
Тема LIMIT clause optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-general
  I was wondering... (a newbie starting to understand how to optimize
queries)
  In which step of query execution the LIMIT clause is executed? I mean
I have a query that would return, let's say, 6 rows, but I add a "LIMIT
1" in the end of it.
  I would speed up things because I would have less data fetching from
the database, right?
  But let's go to a extreme case. I just want to check if a query
returns data at all, so I did the following query:
  select 1 from <tablename>
  Seems fair, right? And what would be the difference in query
optimization if I did the following (i know i'm doing strange stuff):
  select 1 from <tablename> limit 1

--

Felipe Schnack
Analista de Sistemas