Re: Big 7.4 items

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: Big 7.4 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 13:36, Jan Wieck wrote:
> But you cannot use the result of such a SELECT to update anything. So
> you can only phase out complete read only transaction to the slaves.
> Requires support from the application since the load balancing system
> cannot know automatically what will be a read only transaction and what
> not.

Interesting -- SQL contains the concept of "read only" and "read write"
transactions (the default is RW). If we implemented that (which
shouldn't be too difficult[1]), it might make differentiating between
classes of transactions a little easier. Client applications would still
need to be modified, but not nearly as much.

Does this sound like it's worth doing?

[1] -- AFAICS, the only tricky implementation detail is deciding exactly
which database operations are "writes". Does nextval() count, for
example?

Cheers,

Neil