Re: automated index suggestor -- request for comment

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: automated index suggestor -- request for comment
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I cc'b back to list, hope this is ok?

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 14:56, george young wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2002 12:05:36 +0000
> Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 03:22, johnnnnnn wrote:
> >
> > In worst case you could generate the entries in pg_class table without
> > building the actual index and then drop or rollback when the explain is
> > ready.
> >
> --> Of course you could just determine all possibly useful indexes and <--
> --> generate then anyhow an then drop them if they were not used ;)    <--
>
> Why not!  At least for selects, this seems like the ideal.  For insert
> and update, you have to deal with updating the superfluous indexes --
> does the planner include index updating in its work estimates?

Probably not -  the work should be almost the same (modulo cached status
of index pages) for any plan.

At least I think we don't optimize the plan for different index access
patterns for updating indexes.

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>

Сообщение: Re: automated index suggestor -- request for comment
Сообщение: Re: automated index suggestor -- request for comment