Re: Capping CPU usage?

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Capping CPU usage?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 11:43, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom,
>
> > If the issue is to prevent Postgres *as a whole* from hogging CPU
> > usage,
> > I would think that nice-ing the postmaster at launch would work
> > beautifully.  Requests like "I want Postgres to use no more than 30%
> > of CPU" make no sense to me: if the CPU is otherwise idle, why should
> > you insist on reserving 70% of it for the idle loop?
>
> <grin>  That's what I asked the person who asked me.  Apparently, they
> want to do real-time operations without forking out for a real-time OS.
>   My response was "you can nice the postmaster, and simplify your
> queries, but that's about it".

Maybe, even with processes niced down low, the current Linux scheduler
"drop down" a currently schueduled/executing process.

Maybe that would change with the low-latency patches, or with the
O(1) scheduler in kernel 2.6.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."    |
|    Socrates                                                   |