Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 22:27, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On 8 Dec 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> > If something is familiar, it feels safe.  We need to make PostgreSQL
> > familiar.  That's why we need marketing.
>
> Then why wasn't mysql in the list?  It's familiar.

To PHBs?

MySQL doesn't have anything like the marketing clout of Oracle and IBM.
Be thankful it isn't in the list; it would make it a hell of a lot more
difficult to dislodge it.

If we want people to use PostgreSQL in preference to anything else, we
have to make it known.  That is marketing.  If we believe we have a good
product we need to say so and say why and how it's better, cheaper and
purer than anything else.  If there's no good marketing, bad marketing
will rule the world for sure.

If we don't care, we can retreat into a pure technological huddle and
disappear up our own navels.  The rest of the world won't even notice.
Such purity will eventually destroy the project because it will lose the
momentum for growth through a lack of new input.  You can grow or you
can decline; a steady state is almost impossible to achieve.

========================================   "For I am the LORD your God; ye shall therefore       sanctify yourselves,
andye shall be holy; for I am      holy."          Leviticus 11:44