Re: new interface

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: new interface
Дата
Re: new interface  ("Reggie Burnett" <rykr@bellsouth.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 09:55, Reggie Burnett wrote:
> I'm working on a new interface to PostgreSQL and having a difficult
> time. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on the subject.
>
> 1.  Am I correct in thinking that the OID that I receive with the
> RowDescription is the column type?  I have several of those defined from

The OID is just a relatively unique database wide row marker -- which
you cannot count on existing in user tables.  Nothing more or less.  In
some of the system tables it is used as a foreign key to records in
other system tables, but Oid by itself has no such meaning.

> I have read through all the docs/faqs I can find and still have no good
> idea about this.

Take a look at the 'System Catalog' documentation, and in psql the -E
option will show you the 'system' queries used to retrieve the
information for display in psql.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc