Re: Add version macro to libpq-fe.h

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Add version macro to libpq-fe.h
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I'm not sure I understand why you think that exposing the version number
> for libpq is such a bad idea?
> I think it'd be reasonable to add a few more carefully chosen macros to
> pg_config_ext.h.

The primary problem I've got with that is the risk of confusion
between server and libpq version numbers.  In particular, if we do
it like that then we've just totally screwed the Debian packagers.
They will have to choose whether to install pg_config_ext.h from
their server build or their libpq build.  Both choices are wrong,
depending on what applications want to know.

Now we could alternatively invent a libpq_version.h and hope that
packagers remember to install the right version of that.  But I
think it's a better user experience all around to do it the other
way.