Re: Low Budget Performance

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Low Budget Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 11:31, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:10:31AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> > Out of curiousity, what is it with RAID 5?   I've encountered the poor
> > write performance too ... any idea why?
>
> It largely depends on the controller and te implementation.  It has
> to do with the cost of calculating the checksum.  If the
> implementation of that is inefficient, the writes become inefficient.

A high-quality smart controller with lots of cache RAM definitely
negates the RAID5 performance issues.

(Of course, I'm referring to enterprise-level rack-mounted h/w
that costs big bucks...)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |