Re: Vacuum improvement

От Greg Copeland
Тема Re: Vacuum improvement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
But doesn't the solution I offer present a possible work around?  The
table wouldn't need to be locked (I think) until the first dead tuple
were located.  After that, you would only keep the locks until you've
scanned X% of the table and shrunk as needed.  The result, I think,
results in incremental vacuuming with shorter duration locks being
held.  It's not ideal (locks) but may shorten the duration behind help
by locks.

I'm trying to figure out if the two approaches can't be combined
somehow.  That is, a percent with maybe even a max lock duration?

Greg