Re: Out of memory error on huge resultset

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Out of memory error on huge resultset
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Agreed, but there are selects where count(*) won't work. Even so, what
we are talking about here is hiding the implementation of cursors behind
the result set. What I would envision is some sort of cacheing where
when the user set's the fetchsize to 10 for instance we do the select,
and when they ask for next() we check to see if we have these rows in
the cache, and go get them if necessary 10 at a time, possibly keeping
one set of ten behind where we are and one set of 10 ahead of where we
are. So recalling that resultSets have absolute positioning, as well as
first(), and last() positioning we need the ability to move with the
minimum number of trips to the backend.

As it turns out the move command in postgres does support moving to the
end (move 0 ); at the moment this is considered a bug, and is on the
todo list to be removed. I expect we can get some sort of implementation
which allows us to move to the end ( move end )

Dave