Re: BUG #14210: filter by "=" constraint doesn't work when hash index is present on a column

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #14210: filter by "=" constraint doesn't work when hash index is present on a column
Дата
Re: BUG #14210: filter by "=" constraint doesn't work when hash index is present on a column  (Daniel Newman <dtnewman@gmail.com>)
Re: BUG #14210: filter by "=" constraint doesn't work when hash index is present on a column  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: BUG #14210: filter by "=" constraint doesn't work when hash index is present on a column  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs
Daniel Newman <dtnewman@gmail.com> writes:
> Yes. If i delete the index and recreate it, the bug is replicated.

So the answer is that this got broken by commit 9f03ca915196dfc8,
which appears to have imagined that _hash_form_tuple() is just an
alias for index_form_tuple().  But it ain't.  As a result, construction
of hash indexes larger than shared_buffers is broken in 9.5 and up:
what gets entered into the index is garbage, because we are taking
raw data as if it were already hashed.  (In fact, in this example,
we seem to be taking *pointers* to raw data as the hash values.)

> Interestingly, I modified the pg_dump file a bit. At the end, it says:
>> CREATE INDEX hash_issue_index ON hash_issue_table USING hash
>> (hash_issue_column);
>> DROP INDEX hash_issue_index;
>> CREATE INDEX hash_issue_index ON hash_issue_table USING hash
>> (hash_issue_column);
> This is because the issue was not replicating (for some reason) when it
> built the index the first time.

I think what's happening there is that the first CREATE INDEX
underestimates the size of the table and decides it doesn't need to
use the _h_spool() code path.  The other path isn't broken.

We can either revert the aforesaid commit so far as it affects hash,
or do something to break _hash_form_tuple's encapsulation of the
hash-value-for-data substitution.  I don't immediately see a non-messy
way to do the latter.