Re: rotatelog / logrotate with PostgreSQL

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: rotatelog / logrotate with PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 16:05, Yury Bokhoncovich wrote:
> > Does the postmaster close the log after writing?  logrotate can move
>
> IIRC it closes file only on HUP or so, don't wanna to seek in sources.
> So if you don't use syslog, place killall -HUP `tail -n1 /pidpath/postmaster.pid`
> to postrotate clause and better use delaycompress if any.

> > the log and create a new (empty) one, but if the postmaster has the
> > log open, it will continue to write to the old one, defeating the
> > purpose of rotating the log.  Also, if logrotate is configured to
> > compress the log after rotating, an open connection will result in the
> > tail of the file being "corrupted" since uncompressed data will be
> > appended.

Use logrotate's copytruncate option to rotate an open file (when not
using syslog).  There is a small possibility of losing some log data in
between copying the log file and truncating it.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "And we know that all things work together for good to
      them that love God, to them who are the called
      according to his purpose."
                                   Romans 8:28