Re: Record size

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Record size
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hilary Forbes <hforbes@dmr.co.uk> writes:
> Now the question.  Does the number of fields that you have in a record and indeed their size affect performance on a
SELECTstatement when only a subset of fields is being extracted?  So suppose that I have

> f1      integer
> f2      varchar(4)
> f3      varchar(20)
> f4      text

> and f4 contains reams of data.  (well eg 4k).  If I just want f1 and f2, will the performance of the SELECT statement
beaffected by the fact that f4 is large in physical size?  If so, I would be better having two parallel tables one with
fieldsf1,f2,f3 and one with f1,f4 as most of the time I don't want to read in the f4.

Most of the possible benefit applies automatically, because large values
of f4 will be "toasted" (moved out of line).  I don't think it's worth
contorting your table structure for.  You might care to run some
experiments to verify that theory, though.  (But update first;
experiments against 7.0 don't necessarily prove anything about 7.3 ...)

> As a secondary question, presumably it is better to have a permanently compiled view in the database defined as

> CREATE VIEW myview as SELECT f1,f2,f3 from mytable

> rather than issuing the query each time direct to the underlying table?

There's essentially no difference in performance.  Views are not
pre-optimized.
        regards, tom lane

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Christoph Haller
Сообщение: Re: find open transactions/locks in 7.2?
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Record size