Re: Dropping a schema

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Dropping a schema
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 15:02, Tom Lane wrote:
> Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> >   olly=# drop schema testing;
> >   NOTICE:  table testing.testa depends on schema testing
> >   ERROR:  Cannot drop schema testing because other objects depend on it
> >         Use DROP ... CASCADE to drop the dependent objects too
>
> > This seems a little over-restrictive to me.
>
> It's per spec: SQL92 saith
> Also, it seems the safest behavior to me.  "rmdir dir" won't remove a
> nonempty directory; isn't that a pretty close analogy?

Not really, seeing that you can't say "mkdir directory (containing these
files)".  An implicit cascade *inside* the schema seems an appropriate
parallel to "CREATE SCHEMA ... (CREATE TABLE ...)".  After all, we don't
have to say "DROP TABLE ... CASCADE" because the table has rows in it!

But if that's what the spec says...

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a      shout, with the
voiceof the archangel, and with the      trump of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first;     Then we which are
aliveand remain shall be caught      up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord      in the air; and so
shallwe ever be with the Lord."                            I Thessalonians 4:16,17