Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations

От J. R. Nield
Тема Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 23:41, Tom Lane wrote:
> "J. R. Nield" <jrnield@usol.com> writes:
> > The xlog code must allow us to force an advance to the next log file,
> > and truncate the archived file when it's copied so as not to waste
> > space.
>
> Uh, why?  Why not just force a checkpoint and remember the exact
> location of the checkpoint within the current log file?

If I do a backup with PITR and save it to tape, I need to be able to
restore it even if my machine is destroyed in a fire, and all the logs
since the end of a backup are destroyed. If we don't allow the user to
force a log advance, how will he do this? I don't want to copy the log
file, and then have the original be written to later, because it will
become confusing as to which log file to use.

Is the complexity really that big of a problem with this?

--
J. R. Nield
jrnield@usol.com