Re: UPDATE across tables

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: UPDATE across tables
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 12:01, Jake Matchett wrote:
> I need to update the primary key field in two tables sharing this field,
> I can't update separately because I get an integrity violation message
> that tells me the field is still being referenced from the other table,
> fair enough but is there any way of doing a joined/linked/double update
> to the primary key of both tables simultaneously? Something like: UPDATE
> table1.fieldx, table2.fieldx SET fieldx='yyyyy' WHERE fieldx='zzzzz';

The foreign key reference must be deferrable. Like this:

  CREATE TABLE b (id CHAR(1) PRIMARY KEY REFERENCES a DEFERRABLE, ...);

For the update, do both in one transaction, with deferred constraints:
  SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;
  BEGIN;
  UPDATE table1 ...
  UPDATE table2...
  END;

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are
      ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon
      you; on their part He is spoken evil of, but on your
      part He is glorified."                 I Peter 4:14