Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL

От Stephen Deasey
Тема Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL
Дата
Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL
Список pgsql-hackers
Curt Sampson wrote:
> I'm still waiting to find out just what advantage table inheritance
> offers. I've asked a couple of times here, and nobody has even started
> to come up with anything.

Table inheritance offers data model extensibility.  New (derived) tables
can be added to the system, and will work with existing code that
opperates on the base tables, without having to hack up all the code.

Inherited indexes etc. would be nice, but it's the inability to have
referential integrity against a base table that picks up child table
rows that makes the current implementation useles.

I would rather see it fixed than junked, and better yet extended.  It
would be incredibly useful in real-world projects with complex data
models like OpenACS.