Re: [HACKERS] running two servers on one machine

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] running two servers on one machine
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kurt Seel <kseel@utcorp.com> writes:
>  FreeBSD 3.2
>  Postgtres 6.5 and 6.5.3

>  I have 6.5 up and running. I am trying to bring up a second server,
> (6.5.3) on a different port. I have configured it into the compile process
> and also tried it from the command line. As soon as I start the
> second postmaster process, the main DB server starts refusing
> connactions.

I run two servers all the time, one production and one test.  (Right now
I actually have three going on this machine.)  AFAIK all you have to do
is make sure they are running with different data directories (-D switch
to postmaster) and port numbers (-p switch).  You can configure those
items at configure time, but it's not really necessary to do so.

What exactly is the behavior --- what error messages do you see in the
main server's log?  Can you connect to the alternate server?  Does it
show any error messages?

>  The second server is in a chroot'ed environment, so shared libs,
> data, etc is _absolutely_ separate.
>  Is shared memory my problem? How could I (temporarily) hack
> this until our compatability testing is complete?

chroot is certainly not necessary, and I doubt shared memory is the
issue either, unless maybe you are exceeding your kernel's configuration
limit.  (But that should mean that the second postmaster is unable to
start...)