Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

От Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
Тема Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 00:33, Christopher Weimann wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 04:52:11PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> >
> > For some definition of "useful." You say in your table that postgres
> > is slower. How did you measure this?
> >

> In my personal experiance PostgreSQL runs circles around MySQL.
> Specifically MySQL makes lousy choices about which indexes to
> use and requires me to give it hints.  PostgreSQL just works.

Weeeellll. While I'd never use mysql, I find postgres does not 'just
work' - it needs quite a bit attention:

 - running vacuum by hand (there was a recent debate on auto-running
vacuum when it's needed. I'll be happy to see this)
 - the default set up needs some tuning if your database grows to a
certain size (I've not come to that point in my tiny projects, I'm just
reading -general and -hackers cause I'm interested).

But if you assume a proper installation and administration of the
database, then I agree with you.

cheers
-- vbi

--