Re: Issues Outstanding for Point In Time Recovery (PITR)

От J. R. Nield
Тема Re: Issues Outstanding for Point In Time Recovery (PITR)
Re: Issues Outstanding for Point In Time Recovery (PITR)  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: Issues Outstanding for Point In Time Recovery (PITR)  (Richard Tucker <richt@multera.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 15:36, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> J.R., just checking to see how PITR recovery is going.  Do you need any
> assistance or have any questions for us?
>
> Also, do you have any idea how close you are to having something
> completed?  Are you aware we are closing development of 7.3 at the end
> of August and start beta September 1?  Is there any way we can help you?

It should be ready to go into CVS by the end of the month.

That will include: logging all operations except for rtree and GiST,
archival of logfiles (with new postgresql.conf params), headers on the
logfiles to verify the system that created them, standalone backend
recovery to a point-in-time, and a rudimentary hot backup capability.

I could use some advice on the proper way to add tests to configure.in,
given that the autoconf output is in CVS. Would you ever want a patch to
include the generated 'configure' file?

Related to that, the other place I need advice is on adding Ted Tso's
LGPL'd UUID library (stolen from e2fsprogs) to the source. Are we
allowed to use this? There is a free OSF/DCE spec for UUID's, so I can
re-implement the library if required.

We also haven't discussed commands for backup/restore, but I will use
what I think is appropriate and we can change the grammar if needed. The
initial hot-backup capability will require the database to be in
read-only mode and use tar for backup, and I will add the ability to
allow writes later.

Does this sound like a reasonable timeframe/feature-set to make the 7.3
release?

--
J. R. Nield
jrnield@usol.com