Re: Insertion puzzles

От dentfirst13@earthlink.net
Тема Re: Insertion puzzles
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Vivek,

I ran into the exact same problem you did.  I tried many, many changes to
the conf file, I tried O.S. tuning but performance stunk.  I had a fairly
simple job that had a lot of updates and inserts that was taking 4 1/2
hours.  I re-wrote it to be more "Postgres friendly" - meaning less
database updates  and got it down under 2 1/2 hours (still horrible).
Understand, the legacy non-postgres ISAM db took about 15 minutes to
perform the same task.  I assumed it was a system problem that would go
away when we upgraded servers but it did not.  I converted to MySQL and the
exact same java process takes 5  minutes! Postgres is a great DB for some,
for our application it was not - you may want to consider other products
that are a bit faster and do not require the vacuuming of stale data.

Original Message:
-----------------
From: vivek singh sing_vivek@yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:26:09 -0800 (PST)
To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: [PERFORM] Insertion puzzles

Hello to all,

I am new to this group and postgresql. I am working on
a project which uses postgresql and project is time
critical. We did all optimization in our project but
postgresql seems to be a bottle-neck. To solve this we
run the database operations in a different thread. But
still, with large volume of data in database the
insert operation becomes very slow (ie. to insert 100
records in 5 tables, it takes nearly 3minutes).

vacuum analyze helps a bit but performance improvement
is not much.
We are using the default postgres setting (ie. didn't
change postgresql.conf).

One more point: When we try to upload a pg_dump of
nearly 60K records for 7 tables it took more than
10hrs.

System config:

Redhat Linux7.2
RAM: 256MB
postgres: 7.1.3
connection: ODBC

Thanks to all, please consider it even if it is silly
doubt.

Vivek