Re: Debugging features needed

От Boboc Cristi
Тема Re: Debugging features needed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
    Hi.
    If I am going into logging, then I would use SET_CONTEXT function. It is too little documented, but we can add many pairs of (name, value), like this:
set_context('myvar.varname', 'my value here', false),
set_context('abc.anyname', 'any value', false)

The important part is that dot inside the first argument of the function.

    But I am looking for a feature that can be used live, while inspecting the running queries. Thank you for the tip, indeed application_name seems to offer what I was searching for.
Thank you also to all people telling me about it.

    Setting context variables in conjunction with row level security helped me 12 years ago (yes, as you can imagine it was an Oracle database) to "force" users perform the urgent tasks assigned to them (all they could see were the urgent tasks, and only after solving those tasks they could see other tasks) in the ERP software we were using at that time.

    Relying on SQL comments is also a great solution, but I find it a little hard to manage precisely. This is why I have not considered it until now.
More than that I am not a fan of the SQL statements embedded in the application, because the application does not have a kind of SELECT statement to allow us inspect its metadata. (Yes, it may have reflection, but reflection is much less powerful that SELECT is at database level). There are other reasons as well, but this one is the most important for me and for my current job.

Best regards, Cristi Boboc