Re: Is a randomized default value primary key possible?

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Is a randomized default value primary key possible?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 11:10, April L wrote:
> After reading about data types, create table, and other search results for
> "default" and "random" in the postgres idocs, I haven't found a way to do
> this:
>
> Instead of a sequentially auto-incrementing primary key, I would like a
> random 16 byte character value (assumedly hex) to be automatically created
> as the default value for each new record.
>
> I guess I could just use a large random number, created with the postgres
> random() function - however I don't see any way of seeding it, or know if
> that is necessary.
>
> The purpose of using a random rather than sequential number is to prevent
> people being able to access other's records by guessing.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this challenge, and do you know of a way to
> generate a random default value for the primary key?

Have you considered appending (or prepending) a check digit
to the sequence number before inserting into the database?

That way, it is unlikely someone will get an account just by
typing in a random number.  Also, and more importantly, it will
ensure that any fat-fingers by the clerical staff doesn't
accidently bring up the wrong account.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |