Re: using CURSOR with PHP

От Andrew McMillan
Тема Re: using CURSOR with PHP
Дата
Список pgsql-php
On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 23:03, Eckhard Hoeffner wrote:

> >I don't use cursors in web applications myself, since PostgreSQL
> >supports the excellent "SELECT ... LIMIT <n> OFFSET <m>" syntax in all
> >of the cases where I might otherwise have done so.
>
> That's what I wanted to avoid as this results in a little more
> work.
>
> >That's my experience to date, anyway - I'm prepared to find somewhere a
> >cursor might be a requirement - I know that if you wanted to write
> >cross-database portable code you would probably need to work with them.
> >
> >Regardless, unless you open your database connection as a persistent
> >connection, the database connection will be closed when the script
> >finishes, and that should clean up all that is necessary.
>
> I used persistent connections, however, I got lots of <defunct>
> processes.
> If the CURSOR is closed when the script has finished (pg_connect),
> it makes no sense (for me) using it, because I can not move within
> the results.

Right, so your problem is you're trying to use CURSOR, which you are
leaving open  on the off-chance your visitor will returns and wants to
see the 'next record' or something.

I think that really you just should bite the bullet and use the better
syntax on SELECT.  You may have a little more programming work to do,
but it has little impact on performance as far as I can see.

PostgreSQL will optimise queries differently when they have LIMIT
clauses too.

Regards,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
       Are you enrolled at http://schoolreunions.co.nz/ yet?

В списке pgsql-php по дате отправления: