Re: configure: error: header file is

От Peter Peltonen
Тема Re: configure: error: header file is
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 10:54, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Lundi 22 Avril 2002 09:23, Peter Peltonen a écrit :
> > --enable-multibyte=LATIN1
>
> 1) Multibyte
>
> Latin1 is not a multi-byte character. This is not the way to create a Latin1
> database. Creating a Latin1 database is done by CREATE DATABASE foo WITH
> ENCODING = "Latin1". Anyway, it is now recommanded to use Latin9 (Latin1 +
> euro support) instead of Latin1.

Thanks for the Latin9 tip. But about Multibyte, quoted from
http://www2.se.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/admin/multibyte.html

--<snip>--
5.2.1. Enabling MB

Run configure with the multibyte option:

% ./configure --enable-multibyte[=encoding_system]

where encoding_system can be one of the values in the following table:
--</snip>--

and LATIN1 is mentioned as a valid encoding_system. I thought I was just
following documentation. This was for 7.1, though -- has this
functionality been changed in 7.2?

> Why don't you simply --enable-multibyte? Then, you will be able to create a
> Latin1, Latin9 (=Latin1+euro) or Unicode database. PostgreSQL offers
> automatic recoding between server and client using SET CLIENT_ENCODING =
> "Latin9".

I assume that the encoding_system given as a parameter to
--enable-multibyte just sets the _default_ encoding system used by
PostgreSQL when creating db's with initdb. From the same documentation:

--<snip>--
Here is an example of configuring Postgres to use a Japanese encoding by
default:

% ./configure --enable-multibyte=EUC_JP

If the encoding system is omitted (./configure --enable-multibyte),
SQL_ASCII is assumed.
--</snip>--

Or have I misundestood the docs?

> 2) RPMs
> If you are new to PostgreSQL, why don't you install RPMs? They can be
> downloaded directly from PostgreSQL FTP or from http://www.rpmfind.net.

When I started with PostgreSQL 7.0 there were no RPMs available then. So
I started using the "compile by yourself" way and been happy with it.
Until now. I have 7.1.2 running but with same configure options I cannot
connigure 7.2.1. It puzzles me, as configure finds ssl.h but not err.h
which is in the same directory.

> RPMs answer most needs

Yes they do. In my situation I'd find it a hassle to first uninstall
PostgreSQL (the source installation) and then to install it from RPM and
trying to figure out what RH does differently than the default
installation (puts things in funny places, I'd assume!).

Regards,
Peter